We are currently recruiting for volunteers to be Generalist Advisers, Receptionists, Administration Support and Trustees.
What do volunteer advice workers do ?
- Interviewing – You will learn interviewing techniques, how to listen and respond to clients, and how to ask questions to get clarification on issues.
- Giving information – Training will enable you to access information from our computer systems and reference books.
- Giving advice – Your job is to give the client all the courses of action available to them so they can decide what to do.
- Giving practical help – Completing forms; making telephone calls; writing letters. You will also be trained in calculating benefits, tax and debts.
- Case recording – You will be shown how to record your interviews to enable other advisers to carry on work for a client should they return for further help.
- Research and Campaigns – Identify issues where clients have been unfairly treated.
What we can offer you:
- TRAINING – Full training in Citizens Advice interviewing skills, use of the Citizens Advice information system, and social policy work – in context of the aims, principles and equal opportunities policies of Citizens Advice.
- SUPPORT – From the Bureau Manager, Session Supervisor and Tutor, as well as from a team of friendly and professional colleagues.
- FULFILLMENT – In helping members of the community who may need advice or advocacy, information or representation, guidance or support. Enhancing and updating your knowledge and skills through use of a constantly updated information system. Furthering your career.
- MAKING A DIFFERENCE – Identify local issues of concern and help to give them a national voice.
- OPPORTUNITY – To develop specialist skills, eg money advice, publicity, outreach advising, tutoring; to increase knowledge, personal awareness and sensitivity towards the needs of others.
- SATISFACTION – From being part of a friendly team working towards helping others in your local community.
- TRAVEL EXPENSES – Bus fares or a modest car mileage rate will be paid for travel: to and from the Bureau; to training days; to staff meetings.
We do not require experience or qualifications, but if you can answer ‘YES’ to most of the following star qualities, you may be one of the individuals we are looking for:
- Are you a good listener ?
- Are you looking for a challenge ?
- Can you be patient when people seem confused or unable to express themselves clearly ?
- Are you able to be understanding without being critical ?
- Are you able to be open minded about other people’s lifestyles, values and beliefs ?
- Do you like helping people manage their problems ?
- Are you willing to learn ?
- Would you like to work as a member of a small friendly team?
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please call 01582 670003 or
click to send email